Secular Student Alliance at University of the Pacific
We are the local affiliate of the Secular Student Alliance, at University of the Pacific in Stockton, CA.
The purpose of the Secular Student Alliance is to bring about a society in which the ideals of critical and scientific inquiry, secularism, democracy and human-based ethics flourish.
Our mission is to:
- Raise student awareness of issues of importance to the freethought community and the benefits of freethought
- Educate the public and our own communities about the civil rights of atheists, agnostics, humanists and freethinkers
- Influence existing communities such that, and create new communities in which, atheists, agnostics, skeptics, humanists and other freethinkers feel comfortable in their views
- Educate the public and our own communities about the value of reason, science, critical thinking, skepticism, and openness to new ideas
- Defend high education standards, especially when attacked by proponents of irrationality
- Educate the public and our own communities about the value of human based ethics and compassion
- Promote and encourage thoughtful and critical attitudes toward superstition, supernatural claims, pseudoscience and the paranormal
- Promote positive and correct ideas about non-religious lifestyles
- Raise critical awareness of religious extremism
- Educate the public and our own communities about religious freedom and the separation of church and state
- Educate the public and our own communities about the value of respecting people regardless of their religious views and learning to cooperate and coexist with them